This is senior legal role ideally suited to a Grade A/B qualified solicitor/cilex lawyer who has had experience of running and managing a varied medical negligence case load.
The primary responsibility will be to process post litigated cases, ensuring that the same are conducted in a proactive and commercially focussed manner. In addition the role is linked with up to two of the pre-litigation teams within the medical negligence department and the SL is tasked with advising and supporting those teams and their respective team leader to ensure their contested cases are progressed efficiently and proportionally up to and including issue and service. This requires an up to date awareness of the CPR and a strong focus on the steps needed to prepare for litigation in contested cases.
The role also carries direct supervision responsibilities for the paralegal assistants to the Specialist litigation team which will involve mentoring and appraising their work and development.
- Managing up to 25 litigated medical negligence cases
- Reviewing pre-litigated cases & preparing clear case plans for progression to litigation
- Managing all aspects of litigation from service to Trial
- Conducting litigated medical negligence claims of varying value within the Medical Negligence department.
- Achieve KPI target of 55 chargeable units per day
- Settle 1 case per month
- Witness statements
- Schedules of Loss
- Directions Questionnaires
- Proposed Directions
- Lists of Documents
- Case Summaries
- Agendas for Joint Meeting of Experts
- Skeleton Arguments
- Listing Questionnaires
- Tomlin & Consent Orders
- Advice on Quantum
- Instructions to counsel
- Instructions to experts
- Supervising & assisting the Teams with the preparation of proceedings
- Providing advice when requested on procedural aspects of cases and ensuring claims within the teams are investigated in contemplation of litigation
- Court responsibilities:
- Complying with all Court deadlines in a timely manner
- Ability to do their own advocacy at Court hearings if appropriate
- File management
- Communicating and negotiating with the Defendant and their representatives
- Considering medical evidence in relation to Breach of Duty, Causation and Condition and Prognosis prepared for the Claimant and Defendant
- Quantifying claims
- Liaising with clients, experts, Counsel, Defendant’s Solicitors/ Representatives
- Undertaking telephone negotiations/case management conferences with Solicitors/Courts as directed.
- Ensuring all outstanding actions as per Proclaim Action Lists are completed in a timely fashion.
- Accurately recording time.
- Maintaining client files in good order and in accordance with Lexcel and other quality assurance requirements
- Making sure clients are kept up to date
- Enthusiastically seeking out personal development
ESSENTIAL SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- High levels of Clinical Negligence experience
- High levels of litigation experience
- Experience in drafting Court documents
- Advocacy experience
- Excellent case management skills
- Commercial focus
- Good time management
- Ability to cope under pressure
- Good client care skills
- The ability to interact with colleagues and express opinions in a professional and courteous way
- The ability to interact with Counsel & experts
- The ability to head Conferences with Counsel & experts
- Flexibility as the Court deadlines can be very demanding
- The ability to work to a task list
- Good IT skills, preferably a working knowledge of Proclaim or other similar case management system
- The ability to apply initiative and forward thinking
- Compliance with office manual procedures
- We reserve the right to close this vacancy before the specified date depending on volume and calibre of candidates.