Landlord & Tenant Claims

We specialise in landlord & tenant, or defective premises claims.

Our expert legal team support people whose safety has not been ensured, when landlords haven’t kept to their duty of care.

Your landlord has a duty of care to you to provide you with a safe place to live and keep the premises in good state of repair. If you have been injured on the premises of your rental property and believe this to be the landlord’s fault, then you may be able to make a claim against your landlord. A landlord could be a private or a councilowned housing association. 

We can help you

Tell us what happened to you: Call us on 0330 013 0251 Or send us an email
Request a callback when it's convenient for you to talk
Start your claim (No win - no fee)

When you suffer an injury in your home that could have been prevented, we know it can have a huge impact on your life. Our expert team are here to help.

Support team

What makes me eligible to make a landlord & tenant, or defective premises claim?

To be eligible to make a tenant injury claim against your landlord, then you must be able to prove that your landlord was responsible for the injuries caused. Firstly, you must have a record such as an email that proves that you reported the health and safety violation to the landlord. Secondly, you must be able to prove that the landlord did not act to fix the problem.

Is there evidence I can provide to support my claim?

You can support your claim by providing the following: 

  1. Details of the exact date and time of the accident 

2. Evidence of correspondence between you and the landlord such as emails and text messages 

3. Photographs of the housing defect/accident site and/or your injury  

4. Receipts and invoices for expenses out of your pocket. All expenses should relate to the accident and to your injury 

5. A copy of your tenancy agreement 

Support team

You're in safe hands

Amazon AXA Cointreau Devialet Loreal Maserati Mutti Pixi Sanofi