Latest information on Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Learn More

55-year-old woman receives £9,000 settlement after two hospitals failed to appropriately treat a left hand ring fracture

12th February 2019

A 55 year old woman has received £9,000 from Dartford and Gravesham NHS Trust and Queen Victoria Hospital NHS Foundation, after negligent treatment relating to a failure to diagnose and treat a left hand ring fracture.

Despite numerous x-rays and procedures on the Claimant’s left hand within a six week period, Stephanie Davies, the Litigation Executive who represented the Claimant Miss C, stated that she was appalled at the level of treatment Miss C received.

Stephanie said: “This case highlights the importance of thorough investigations and review of x-rays following a fall and the importance of listening and acting upon patient complaints of pain.

“My client suffered with months of prolonged pain and reduced mobility that could have been avoided had the initial x-rays been reviewed in an appropriate manner.”

In January 2017, Miss C tripped over and injured her ring finger and little finger on her left hand in an effort to protect her face from the fall.

After multiple visits to hospital and multiple x-rays, she received conflicting conclusions about the injuries that she sustained.

On the evening of the fall, Miss C attended the Darent Valley Hospital’s A & E department in Dartford where her hand was x-rayed twice and she was informed that she had a break in her little finger.

Miss C attended a fracture clinic on 4 January 2017 and underwent a further x –ray where the doctor strapped the two fingers together and discharged her home.

On 6 January 2017, Miss C underwent surgery to insert a K wire into her little finger. 

Prior to this surgery, Miss C alerted the doctors involved to the fact that she her ring finger was still very swollen and painful. This was performed at Queen Victoria Hospital.

As a result of the surgery, Miss C was informed that there was a good chance that her little finger would be shortened.

On 13 January 2017, she returned to the Queen Victoria Hospital to have her dressing removed and to undergo some physiotherapy.

After another x-ray, it was noted that Miss C had also broken her ring finger, which required another surgical procedure. This took place on 8 February 2017 and required a further k-wire fixation into her left ring finger.

On 3 March 2017, she returned to Queen Victoria Hospital to have the wires removed from both the ring finger and little finger on her left hand.

Speaking to Fletchers Solicitors after the settlement, Miss C said: “During one of my phone calls from the case worker I became quite emotional due to the nature of my case.

“Stephanie was very patient and understanding and I felt as though she really cared.”

In conclusion to the case, Stephanie Davies said: “I hope this settlement will allow Miss C to return to her previous active lifestyle as much as possible.”



Further Reading…

You don't have to go through this alone - take the first step now

  • IIP - Investors in People
  • The Sunday Times Top 100 - Best Companies To Work For 2016
  • The Investors In People Awards 2016 - Winner
  • The Legal 500 - Leading Firm 2015
  • The Law Society - Clinical Negligence
  • The Lawyer UK200 - Listed Firm 2015
  • Top Ranked Leading Individual - Chambers UK 2019