When a herniated disc injury warrants compensation
If you have suffered a herniated disc after a car accident, you may be wondering what your options are. Road traffic accidents can unfortunately result in a number of debilitating injuries, leaving you unsure where to turn. A bulging disc following a car accident can be incredibly painful and can affect your life in many ways. Read on to discover the signs and symptoms of a herniated disc and when this type of injury warrants car accident compensation.
The signs and symptoms of a herniated disc
A herniated disc, also called a prolapsed or slipped disc, happens after a soft cushion of tissue in the spine becomes dislodged. When a disc presses on the surroundings nerves it can be very painful and the unexpected impact of a car accident can lead to herniated disc injuries.
If you’re unsure if you have a herniated disc, check for the following signs:
- Are you experiencing lower back pain?
- A numbness or tingling in your body?
- Neck pain or discomfort
- Difficulty bending or straightening your back
- Weakness in your muscles
- Nerve pain – sciatica
However, it’s important to note that not all herniated discs symptoms are painful and with rest and gentle exercise the symptoms can get better in time.
How a herniated disc affects victims long term
If you suffer a herniated disc after a car accident you may need additional care at home, either temporarily or long term. You may also have to rely on public transport if you’re unable to drive and have to find additional cash flow for physiotherapy.
Following the impact of a vehicle collision, pieces from the spinal structure (the disc) that separates the bones, or the vertebrae can move out of place. If this happens, it is very likely you’ll feel a lot of pain due to the fact the disc can become dislodged and press against the spinal nerves. Severe neck, back, leg and even hand pain are key symptoms of a herniated disc after a car accident.
Spinal cord and back injuries following a road traffic accident can result in permanent damage. Not only that, herniated disc symptoms can occur after one low-speed or innocuous car accident. If you are a victim of a road traffic accident and you are diagnosed with any of the herniated disc symptoms below, we recommend contacting Fletchers Serious Injury to discuss your entitlement.
- Powerful or sudden back pain is a symptom of a slipped or herniated disc injury
- Lower back pain is one of the most common herniated disc symptoms
- Your bottom two discs in the spinal column are the most likely to herniate in an RTA
- Damaged or ruptured discs put pressure on the sciatic nerve resulting in sharp pains
Numbness in the back, leg or hands:
- Herniated disc symptoms include numbness throughout the body
- Injuries can result in difficulty performing day-to-day activities, even walking
What level of compensation could I be entitled to from a herniated disc?
When seeing herniated disc compensation, the latest government figures suggest a settlement somewhere between £11,730 and £26,050. This is based on the following factors being adhered to:
- The claimant is not at fault
- The claimant receives physiotherapy
- The claimant receives straightforward surgery
However, this does depend on the measures of pain the claimant is in, the severity of the injury and the prognosis for the future. The next bracket up from this is expected to be between £26,000 and £36,000.
Compensating a herniated disc following a car accident
After a road traffic accident, it’s not uncommon that every aspect of your life will be turned upside down. At Fletchers Serious Injury, we understand that a herniated disc injury should result in monitory compensation to help rebuild your confidence and your life.
As trusted herniated disc injury specialists, we will ensure that you:
- Receive around the clock claim management services
- Always experience transparency and empathy when talking to our qualified legal team
- Experience peace of mind with your herniated disc injury and herniated disc claim
If you are suffering a herniated disc following a car accident, call our expert lawyers today to ensure that you receive the right advice, as quickly as possible. Rest assured, our dedicated and friendly car accident team will be able to answer any questions without hesitation or fuss.